Saturday, September 13, 2008

Old Shaft/New Shaft

We managed to track down a mixture of '65 and '66 drive shaft parts that should, hopefully, return the car to operation. Team Unsafe's crack mechanics had the car up jacks and the wheels off before you could say "How many more times are we going to do this?"

(Byron checks new bearings in foreground. Mike removes rear wheel in background to fix valve cover oil leak.)

The new left side drive shaft goes in, aided by six hands, a rubber mallet, and a little coaxing from Mr. Dremel.

New shaft installed, we turned to finishing off the interiorectomy. Note the truly awesome wiring job done by the former owner.

Removing the interior revealed that the underbody is generally in good shape, the firewall is intact, and just a wee bit of rust in the shifter area.

It's hard to see from the picture, but the ground underneath the car is clearly visible through those holes. Smokey Yunick and his acid-dipped body panels ain't got nothin' on us. We are going to have our cage guy weld a patch on the rusted-out area.

At the end of the day we had 6 cylinders that all delivered compression, two of our four carbs operational and two still disconnected, and two drive shafts somewhat more securely connected to their respective wheels. Who knows, the engine might even run. A successful day by LeMons racing standards.

No comments: